1991 Alternate Formula One season
From Formula Rejects Wiki
|1991 Formula One season|
|Start date||10th March 1991|
|Start Event||Iceberg United States Grand Prix|
|End date||3rd November 1991|
|End Event||Foster's Australian Grand Prix|
|Driver's champion||Brendon Cassidy|
|Previous season||Next season|
|Tier 1||1991 International F3000 season|
The 1991 Formula One season was the 42nd Formula One World Championship season.
- 1 A deal was agreed between Rial and Opel, where Bernd Schneider would race any races in F1 that did not clash with races in WTCM, with fellow German Michael Bartels filling in for the races where Schneider was otherwise occupied.
- 2 Paul Belmondo was sacked from AGS after the San Marino Grand Prix and replaced with Gabriele Tarquini.
- 3 Yamaha withdrew their engine supply from Ligier before the Monaco Grand Prix after repeatedly failing to pre-qualify and opted to supply Tyrrell instead. Ligier would take Tyrrell's supply of Ford Cosworth DFR engines.
- 4 Jérémy-Étienne Voeckler was fired after the Hungarian Grand Prix by Williams after his poor performances and replaced by Jack Christopherson, who was replaced at the struggling AGS team by Kazuki Fushida.
- 5 Bertrand Gachot was arrested in London for assaulting a taxi driver and replaced by Jordan test driver Allan McNish for the Belgian Grand Prix.
- 6 Brabham were excluded from the Portugese Grand Prix and handed a one-race ban for technical irregularities - following the ban Ivan Capelli opted to stand down from his race seat to allow Austrian Karl Wendlinger to make his debut.
- 7 Ayrton Senna walked out on Ferrari after deliberately parking his car at the Spanish Grand Prix and was replaced by the team's test driver Frédéric-Maxime Voeckler.