1989 Alternate Formula One season
From Formula Rejects Wiki
|1989 Formula One season|
|Jérémy-Étienne Voeckler enters the season as defending champion.|
|Start date||28th March 1989|
|Start Event||Nestlé Brazilian Grand Prix|
|End date||19th November 1989|
|End Event||Australian Grand Prix|
|Previous season||Next season|
|Tier 1||1989 Alternate International F3000 season|
Teams and Drivers
- 1 After failing to qualify for two races in a row, Kazuki Fushida was let go from Benetton in favour of Roberto Moreno
- 2 Christian Danner was fired from Rial mid-season for under-performance. He was replaced by Andrea de Cesaris
- 3 Olivier Grouillard failed to impress the management at AGS. He was replaced by Williams test and reserve driver Martin Brundle
- 4 Teo Fabi failed to build on a promising start to the year, and after a disappointing run of results, was released from McLaren. The team signed Alessandro Nannini from Zakspeed, who was frustrated with the Yamaha engine's lack of pace.
- 5 Zakspeed, in financial difficulties, turned to pay drivers to fill the seat vacated by Nannini. Formula 3000 driver Josephine Aarseth made her Formula One debut at the Belgian Grand Prix, before fellow Formula 3000 driver Nino Fama took over the seat for the Japanese Grand Prix. David Brabham, son of former world champion Jack Brabham, would take the seat for his home grand prix before giving the car to veteran German driver Leonhard von Gottorp for the Mexican Grand Prix as part of his bid to get back into Formula One.